Staff number : 1-9
Description of activities
The Goodyear Innovation Center Luxembourg (GIC*L) carries out research and development work, builds and tests new tires for passenger cars, light and medium trucks and farm vehicles for the European, African and Asian markets. A staff of 900 engineers, scientists and technicians of 29 different nationalities are working on new raw materials, tread designs and on rubber quality. One of the objectives is to obtain Original Equipment approval on their tires from vehicle manufacturers.
Products and services
The function of the Goodyear Innovation Center* Luxembourg is to:
- provide technical support to European Union, Eastern Europe, South Pacific Tyres, Asia;
- support 25 Goodyear production facilities;
- obtain OEM approvals from vehicle manufacturers throughout the world;
- maintain close contact with markets and customers through regularly scheduled product analysis trips;
- guarantee the quality of tires and the good introduction of the products in 185 countries.
- Goodyear Production Facilities
- Vehicle Manufacturers
- ISO / TS 16949: 2002 Certificate of Goodyear NATR;
- Goodyear Innovation Center* ISO 9001: 2002.
Research, Development and Innovation (RDI)
R&D investments (in % or by thousands of euros) : Percentage of human resources: >=250 people in 2010
- Patent applications filed per year: 60
- Licence(s) on the company’s/research centre’s technologies granted to third parties
- Use of external technology under a licensing agreement or acquisition
Developing a new tire requires a number of very demanding tests. Thus, a wide range of tests is carried out in laboratories, where compounds and reinforcement materials are tested for their performances. The test tires are submitted to a torturous series of treatments: tests involving perforation, torsion, temperature variations and very high levels of speed. But the tires also have to perform on dry and wet tracks: wear resistance, performance at high speed, braking, adherence in curves, noise, fuel consumption, aquaplaning, vibrations, stability are some of the many tests modern tires have to pass. The Goodyear scientists also perform in-depth tire-vehicle behaviour analyses.
- Materials and surface treatment
Goodyear Innovation Center* Luxembourg
Avenue Gordon Smith; L-7750; Colmar-Berg; LUXEMBOURG
Phone: +352 81 99 36 15
Fax: +352 81 99 38 56
Dr THIELEN Georges
Manager External Science and Technology
Phone: +352 81 99 36 15