Main axes of research
The general ambition of the Research Unit in Law is to position itself as a centre of excellence bringing together a team with truly transnational abilities, experiences, reach and outlook which develops its research activities in European law, economic and business law as well as Luxembourgish law.
The team has strong interdisciplinary orientations and focuses on the problems and challenges of a global society, while contributing also to the constant improvement of the Luxembourg legal infrastructure.
The central objectives of the Research Unit in Law are to:
- Conduct pioneering research and offer excellent academic training in European, international, comparative and Luxembourgish law which clarifies the relations and interactions between norms from these different levels.
- Follow an interdisciplinary approach to research and academic training, combining philosophy, history, political sciences, sociology, finance and economics, while applying also an innovative approach where comparative law and empirical research methods are broadly used.
- Concentrate on topics in which the particular context of the G.D. of Luxembourg offers specific opportunities in its role as European capital, international financial centre and home to innovative industries in the area of media, telecommunications and e-commerce.
- Form synergies with stakeholders and partners such as through the ATOZ chair in tax law and the SES Chair in Space, Satellite Communications and Media Law. We want to contribute to research conducted in neighbouring disciplines, for example in cooperation with the University’s Interdisciplinary Centers Security & Trust and Systems Biomedicine. The creation of a Max Planck Institute on “International, European and Regulatory Procedural Law” is strengthening the network of already existing transversal research activities and international relations.
Current research projects
Resources and collaborations
Electronic databases for comparative legal research.
Products and services
Research and teaching
Major partnerships and collaborations
The Research Unit Law of the University of Luxembourg maintains and profits from active partnerships with high-ranking academic institutions around the world.
It is active in advising inter alia the Luxembourg Government and other public entities.
Major Partners are:
ATOZ Luxembourg ; SES ; UBS, Max Planck Institute Luxembourg for International, European and Regulatory Procedural Law ; Université de Lorraine ; Université de Strasbourg ; University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign ; Columbia University ; Université de Bamako
- 30 Researchers (Prof., ass. Prof., Post-docs, PhD)
- 55 Doctoral students and students
- 0 Engineers
- 0 Technicians
- 8 Other
Prof. HIEZ David
Head of Research Unit
Phone: +352 46 66 44 6819