Main axes of research
- Optimisation and Parallel Computing - Prof. Pascal Bouvry
- Information Management and Knowledge Discovery - Prof. Christoph Schommer
- Information Theory and Stochastic Inference - Prof. Ulrich Sorger
- Individual and Collective Reasoning - Prof. Leon van der Torre
- Decision Systems - Prof. Raymond Bisdorff
Current research projects
The Interdisciplinary Lab for Intelligent and Adaptive Systems (ILIAS) is a research group within the Computer Science and Communication Research Unit. Its main goal is to realise and develop research and teaching in the area of intelligent and adaptive systems at the University of Luxembourg (and beyond).
The overarching subject is information processing - or more specifically, inference - in complex and dynamic environments given limited resources and incomplete or uncertain knowledge. The unit investigates the theoretical foundations and the algorithmic realisations of systems.
- performing complex problem solving with a high degree of autonomy, i.e. intelligent,
- exploiting learning to deal with opaque and dynamic contexts, i.e. adaptive.
The research lab is characterised by a strong cross-disciplinary perspective, combining expertise from computer science, information theory, statistics, mathematics, and logic.
Resources and collaborations
- Two clusters (one equipped with 48 cores and the other with 176 cores);
- Participation to Grid 5000 project (>4000 nodes).
Products and services
- Bachelor, Master and PhD programmes in computer science;
- Partnership in EU research programmes;
- Co-supervision of bachelor, master and PhD thesis on real-world problems.
Major partnerships and collaborations
National: LCSB; Onetree Technologies; Public Research Centres; Restena; SES-ASTRA; SnT; Synergiums; Telindus S.A.; Ubistream.
International: CNR-ISTI (IT); CSU (US); CWI (NL); ESA (EU); CISCO (BE); INRIA (FR); IPIPAN (PL); Max Planck Institute for Computer Science (DE); NDSU (US); University of Malaga (SP); University of Sydney (AU); VTT (FIN); and many others worldwide.
Member of: BNAIC; Grid5000 and CoreGrid Network of Excellence; ERCIM; COST ICT DC; the ESF network GAMES and the Reasoning Club; COST IC0602 "Algorithmic Decision Theory", IC0804 “Energy efficiency in large scale distributed systems”, IC0702 “Combining Soft Computing Techniques and Statistical Methods to Improve Data Analysis Solutions”, C0801 “Agreement Technologies”, Grande Region WG on operations research and decision making.
- 5 Researchers (Prof., ass. Prof., Post-docs, PhD)
- 15 Doctoral students and students
- 0 Engineers
- 20 Technicians
- 3 Other
- Information and Communication Technologies
Interdisciplinary Lab for Intelligent and Adaptive Systems (ILIAS)
Campus Kirchberg, 6, rue Coudenhove-Kalergi, L-1359 Luxembourg
Phone: +352 46 66 44 57 47
Fax: +352 46 66 44 55 00
Prof. BOUVRY Pascal
Head of Laboratory
Phone: +352 46 66 44 57 47